Pages

Friday, 5 April 2013


What was the role of food in your home as a child? 
The role of food in my household was either revolved around everyone eating meals together at the dinning table, and I mean every meal or family events and holidays. Every Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas, my mother (with help from me of course) would make these extravagant meals, which included 8 or more pies of various kinds. Birthdays my mom would put together fruit and veggie trays along with her famous potato salad. Most importantly our entire extended family was always present for these occasions. Sometimes I wondered what all the work was for but as an adult I understand. Especially since my siblings, my cousins, and I all have our own lives; the times we spend together during those meals means the world to me.



What is one of your fondest food memories?

As soon as summer would start, my mom and dad insisted we contribute to the maintenance of our back yard before we were ever allowed to play with friends. On the days that my mom wasn't working she would be out in the yard with us picking weeds and planting new flowers. Those days were the best because she would always make us lunch. Lunch consisted of her deliciously creamy mac n' cheese along side a bowl of freshly cut peaches (from our tree) drenched in cream. 




What is your first memory of cooking? 
I had been cooking things here and there since I was 7 but that was always under supervision of my mom. I believe I was 10 or 11, one day after school I was feeling ambitious and decided to bake scones. Let's just say that this baking experience goes without saying that I am famous for not reading details properly. Instead of 1 1/2 cups of flour, I put that amount of baking soda. The scones were as hard as rocks and tasted awful. 




Food-related anxieties have long affected women and girls (and increasingly men and boys) as they experience pressure to monitor their food consumption in order to live up to the socially-constructed ideal body . Have you ever struggled with these issues, and/or how do you think we can create conditions where women are able to develop healthy relationships with food?
Food-related anxieties started for me once I entered high school. Despite my highly athletic participation in high school, my relationship with food changed when girls around me became hyper aware of their bodies which made me conscious of mine and the foods I ate. Being the girl/women who has dealt with various eating disorders, I understand the importance of developing a healthy relationship with food. I believe the best approach for men and women to develop a healthy relationship with food is to recognize the root cause of their negative connection to food and instead practice thinking about food as a way of life. What foods give you more energy and make you feel good. For example since I started long distance cycling I see my body in a entire different light. My body is a wonderful machine, it is the only one I have been given, and I intend on fuelling it with only the best food out there.

Food, like other consumer products, is frequently gendered in advertising, popular media and in everyday discourse, whether it's skinny girl wine or a juicy steak for a 'real' man. How do you feel about this, and does it affect your choices?


 There has always been products that are meant to target a specific gender to maintain the consumption of a product, however I could be completely bias in saying that women are the major target audience for these products. Anything from weight loss diets to super foods that will keep you looking youthful, women are the consumers targets. On occasion gendered advertising affects my choices,  I would be lying if I said I didn't make a conscious effort to avoid products that have more than 5 listed ingredients, and in general overly processed foods.


Globalizing food markets have meant an increase in food options, particularly in western countries, be it in the aisles of the grocery store, at private social gatherings or on restaurant menus. Have you noticed your food habits changing? Are you eating different foods than what you grew up with? Do you think there are cultural/ political implications of trend? 

I have noticed my food habits changing depending on what area of the city I am residing and who I live with. South Hills of Vancouver does not have the same accessible food options like Kitsilano or neighbouring areas like Commercial Drive but there is a wide variety of markets that always carry fresh and local produce. Cooking for one has changed how often I actually cook and a lot of the time I tend to eat very vegetarian based meals.
I definitely eat different foods than what I grew up with. Growing up in a big family; food was generally very basic so to satisfy everyones preferences. 
Culture is extremely apparent implications of trend within Vancouver. Everywhere you go now you can find various places to eat and shop for asian, indian, european dishes, and more recently places that cater to gluten free intolerances. The options are endless. 


Blind Dinning Experience

 As Rudy led us through the darkness, my fear of the dark crept up on me. The closer we got to the table the sounds of chit chat, laughter, and the scrapping of cutlery to a plate filled the room; the dark wasn't so scary after all. Once we settled down at our table, I instantly started thinking about how strange I felt seeing absolutely nothing in front of me. It was so unfamiliar not to be able to observe other people at the tables around us, voices and surrounding noises were amplified by the void of sight. 
Once the appetizers arrived, I found it difficult to make direct contact with the food on the plate and even getting the food into my mouth. During the intermission between appetizers and entrees, I found it quite amusing that I could dance away in my chair and basically do anything without being seen by anyone. This brought me to an interesting question to ask our server Rudy at the end of the evening. Once we got our entrees I had yet another bad attempt at getting the fork to the plate, so I resorted to using my fingers instead. There is so much freedom to eating with your hands versus utensils. After finishing our meal and the plates were cleared, I realized how much my eyes had adjusted to the dark which made me notice the slightest bits of light coming from the kitchen and bar. Discomfort quickly came over my entire body. I was like a heroine addict yearning for a fix. I felt anxious to get out of my seat, out of the restaurant and into the light. Looking back on the anxiety I felt was knowing that I have the ability to see and that option was right outside those doors.
 As we payed our bills I felt compelled to ask Rudy if there had ever been instances of people canoodling at their tables?. Rudy replied, "canoodling, what is canoodling?, oh you mean love making", so I repeated to Rudy "yes love making". Rudy nonchalantly stated "well we can't see it happening and therefore nothing we can do about it". I laughed out loud and was thrilled that he did not hesitate in responding to my question. Overall, the heightened senses you experience beyond vision is worth dinning at Dark Table. 







No comments:

Post a Comment