The following is a little Q&A I had my partner do. Last semester I wrote a paper about PETA's attempt to masculinize vegetarianism (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/05/stay-firm-and-fresh-peta-_n_2076499.html and http://www.xojane.com/issues/peta-campaign-bwvaktboom-domestic-violence) as an answer to dominant narratives that equate meat with masculinity, and (by virtue of our culture's dualistic mode of thinking), vegetables with the feminine. I thought it would be interesting to look at the micro-politics of the daily life of a vegetarian man through personal narrative. It took the form of a structured interview.
How long have you been vegetarian and what
are the initial reasons you chose to remove meat from your diet? Have these
reasons changed?
I have been a vegetarian since I was about
12 years old. I can’t remember precisely. I never enjoyed the few meat items
that I had been forced to try and decided finally to remove the little that I
might eat to be a “real” vegetarian. I am still a “real” vegetarian because I
don’t like the thought of killing animals unnecessarily.
Can you recall any early food-related memories?
The earliest I can remember is an incident
where I was compelled to eat scrambled eggs to attain the prize of one of those
chocolates at the end of a short white stick. I was disgusted immediately and
did not receive my prize.
What is/are your favorite food/(s)?
Pizza is the scientific pinnacle of food
assembly. It has all the necessary components of deliciousness and
satisfaction.
How do you think vegetarianism is
represented in popular culture?
Vegetarians seem to me to either be
represented as naïve bleeding hearts, or as morally elitist snobs, or
simultaneously as both.
How do you perceive the relationship
between masculinity and vegetarianism and how does this affect your
understanding of food, sexuality, identity and self?
The fiction of the authentic male is
definitely largely informed by what he eats. Real men lose all mental function
over the allegedly orgasmic experience of bacon and are invigorated by bloody
steaks the way that Popeye is by spinach.
How does your vegetarianism affect your
interaction with others, including friends, family, acquaintances, wait staff,
etc?
I make a point of being one of “the good
ones” who don’t remind people that what they consume is an animal killed not
for subsistence but for pleasure, and killed without any dignity or experience
of an actual life prior to slaughter. Despite this commitment, I judge,
uncontrollably, all meat eaters as to some extent morally deficient, or
intellectually incapable of comprehending the reality of their actions.
Although such thoughts are not constant and I am typically capable of enjoying
the company of meat eaters without thinking too much over their shortcomings.
That said, vegetarians instantly get a few extra points of respect from me.
Describe your personal patterns of food
consumption and relations with food production. Do you cook, care about the
source of your food, etc?
I am learning to cook and enjoy it quite a
bit. My relations with food production are typically zero however, as they are
with most people, given the division of labour in the food industry. It would
be nice to know that the garden that grew your food is just around the corner,
but failing that, I suppose the closer to the city something is grown, the
better.
Would you ever date an omnivore? Why/why
not?
Not seriously, I would not want meat
products in my home or the smell of burning meat filling the air within it.
Although eating meat does not cause me to “write someone off” entirely, as I am
used to knowing and forming relationships with meat eaters.
No comments:
Post a Comment