We began our group project with the idea that we
would premise it on a shared experience, which we could all reflect on, in
order to illustrate both the diversity and commonalities in the way we each draw on our memories to construct
our personal narratives (ie. what we each take notice of, and feel is important to
include, and how we present these narratives) After a couple weeks of
brainstorming, Joyce suggested we try blind dining. I had never heard of it before, but we were all immediately
interested in the idea both as a 'scholarly experiment', and because it sounded
really cool. So, sometime back in March, we all met up on a Wednesday night to
check out the 'Dark Table' on W. 4th. Our experience began in the lobby where
we each placed our order. All of us opted for the surprise dinner. We were then introduced to our server, who learned each of our names, and told us his.
"If you ever need anything" Rudie said, "just call my name".
He then told us to form a train and we were led
into the dark. I started to panic a little as I tried to ‘adjust’ my eyes to
the darkness, realizing that there was only adjusting my mind and my other
senses, because it was pitch black and it would stay pitch black. I took deep breaths to calm myself.
As we settled into our spots, we began chatting and observing our surroundings. Touch seemed particularly important as we felt around for our water glasses and cutlery. I realized that I was seated next to a wall, and I could almost 'visualize' what the space looked like. I had a moment where I was really thankful that they didn't serve alcohol because I would almost be guaranteed to forget my purse, or half its contents at least.
My first course was a salad of mixed greens with
a balsamic dressing, roasted red peppers and goat cheese. For some reason I could
not figure out what the pepper was, even
though I recognized it as something so familiar and regular in my diet. Allison revealed its identity to me and it was a little anticlimactic. I was so close to figuring it out and I was sort of disappointed that I didn't get to have the 'aha' satisfaction.
My main course was a large portobello mushroom with balsamic glaze and a mix of roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes. Like the salad, it was nothing exceptional, and I wondered how much sight accounts for the pleasure I derive from food. Near the end of the meal, we all admitted that
we were no longer using our utensils. I was thrilled at this possibility, because I hate utensils. At home I use chopsticks or my fingers (nature's chopsticks) for everything possible. Around the mid-meal mark, I think we had all begun to compensate for the darkness. I heard myself talking more expressively, and there were a lot of mmhmmms and oral 'nods of agreement'. We were also more comfortable with each other, having 'broken the ice' and we talked about the direction of our project, as well as our lives outside of school. This is what prompted us to begin to frame our project as an exploration in the possibilities of food and life narrative.
Finally it was time to leave and we were escorted back to the lobby (in train formation), where we were told we would have the opportunity to find out exactly what was on each of our plates. In the lobby, however, we were informed that the chef had already left, and so the mystery remains!
Here we all are at the Dark Table:

No comments:
Post a Comment